Image credit: Jack Rowand/ABC
YOU'RE A CROOK, CAPTAIN HOOK Emma, won't you throw the book at the piiiiii-RATE?
- In tonight's cold open, we witness a young Emma giving birth to Henry... at precisely 8:15. Lost references are like a little black dress: always in style.
- Henry tells Tamara "my mom's coming to get me -- both of them." Aww, Henry has two mommies! Something tells me Swan Queen enthusiasts have already written a fanfic with that title.
- Regina to Hook: "Greg Mendel said something funny to me. He said I'm a villain, and that villains don't get happy endings. Do you believe that?" Good lord, do we really have to go over this again?
- On a similar note, tonight's Clumsy Exposition Award goes to Emma: "Ever since you remembered that you're Snow White and Prince Charming, your lives, they've sucked!"
- I sense that Growen and Tamara's story could be over for good, but still, I wonder: How exactly did Pan rope them into doing his bidding?
- Bae tells Mulan everyone in the "real world" thinks the inhabitants of other universes are just fictional characters. Mulan: "I'm in a story?" Bae: "Yeah. They made a movie about you. It's actually pretty good." Mulan, after a beat: "What's a movie?"
- Regina is at her most wicked when she's trying to make Snow's prince assassiner le poisson: "That's more like it, Charming -- fillet the bitch." Yowza! It's always a shock to hear quasi-swears on this show.
- Speaking of Regina, this line was also classic: She spits that Snow wants to win the mermaid over with "rainbow kisses and unicorn stickers." Be more specific, Queen: Lisa Frank unicorn stickers?
- "I'd bow, but this quiver's rather tight." Robin Hood seems like he'll be jolly good fun if he sticks around.
- Henry's flight over Neverland just happens to coincide with his fractured family's debarkation. This whole storyline could have been cut short if they had just looked up!
- Harsh truth time, guys: Despite what Internet rumors may have led you to believe, there almost certainly won't be a character named Rufio on Once this season. "Rufio belongs to another take on the Pan thing," Adam Horowitz told TV Guide this summer. (Maybe that name was just a code for when they were casting Pan?) Still, Horowitz added, "We're not using that character that was created by another world, but we are making a loving nod towards a movie and a mythology that we enjoy." Colored goop for everyone! You can find more Kitsis/Horowitz goodies in EW's own postmortem of tonight's premiere.
- Speaking of the one and only Peter Pan: Did you know that Pan actor Robbie Kay played Pinocchio in an eponymous 2008 miniseries?
- Finally, why do you suppose Pan wants Henry's juicy juicy heart? And finally finally, why is even Rumpelstiltskin no match for the kid?
- Did that unnamed mermaid make you wonder when we'll finally meet Joanna Garcia Swisher's highly-anticipated Ariel? Alas, it won't be until episode 6 -- which is, appropriately enough, titled "Ariel."
- A group of unicorns is called a "glory" -- so what's the name for a group of mermaids? Sure, "school" works... but I might prefer "dinglehopper."